Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Up in the clouds: The Story of Zach Sobiech

Zach Sobiech left his mark on this world of ours.  Zach Sobiech was an inspiration.  Zach Sobiech didn't get to live a long life, but he sure made good use of the time he had! 

You may have already seen stories about Zach and perhaps have heard his music.  What you did not know before though was that Zach was an incredible inspiration to me, even though we never met. In the past two months I listened to his youtube videos even more than when I first heard of him. Zach was slowly dying of cancer (specifically osteosarcoma, a rare bone cancer). It was cancer that brought about my mother's death just two months ago. Zach bravely battled but last May was told that he likely had months to a year to live. The news did not cause him to retreat or to give up living. Zach got more and more into his music, and that is how I first heard about him.  I especially love his Clouds video.

Although his hair would come out in clumps and the chemo had to have been dragging him down, Zach continued to write and perform music and became an internet sensation. Zach released two albums, performed with some of today’s finest musicians, and raised a lot of money and awareness for osteosarcoma research. That money can continue to come in, as a memorial to Zach. His fight was fierce, but this week he lost that battle. Zach Sobiech passed away at the young age of eighteen, but not before leaving a mark that will certainly live on.

I only knew Zach through the newspaper reports, and the stories I saw on tv (one on CNN that was very detailed and showed a young talented man of great courage), and the internet buzz surrounding his fine music. I'm glad I had a chance to see him though. He taught me a lot. I had never known of osteosarcoma before, so that was a good lesson. I had never seen such a brave and talented person work so hard to make a difference! I do hope you will check out some of his performances. You can click HERE for his Clouds video and also click HERE to see him perform with his band.

Oh and one more thing - Zach would really like this - share the story. Let others know about osteosarcoma and about the brave teen who battled it, and in his memory, make a donation to wipe it out! Click HERE to go to the secure fundraising page for the Zach Sobiech Osteosarcoma Fund.

What a great inspiration you were Zach and I have no doubt we will see you again, up in the clouds.

No comments:

Post a Comment