Wednesday, September 3, 2014

It's a fundamental right

If I hear someone say "gay marriage" one more time, I'm going to scream!  Really folks.  It's marriage.  Just marriage.  You can pretty much bet that if a woman marries another woman or a man marries another man, they are gay.  We don't need to announce it any more that I say I ate my gay breakfast this morning right after I took my gay shower and in a little while I am going to gay mass.

Oh and another thing about marriage:  it's a fundamental right!  Did you always approve of who some of your relatives or friends married?  It doesn't really matter though because it's about love.  It isn't up to us.  We don't get to pick and choose who can marry whom.  Two people decide that for themselves and if they are legally able to consent, it is nobody else's business.  It is a right - a basic fundamental human right.

I cannot say that an Asian woman cannot marry a Black man and I cannot say that a while man cannot marry a Black woman.  It's none of my business.  Most people finally get that.  The tough one still for a lot of people is same-sex relationships, but it's the same thing.  The couple decides, not the folks down the street.  One person asks another to marry them and they say yes to each other.  That's really what it's all about.  It isn't anyone else's business!

The United States Supreme Court has, since 1888, ruled in at least 14 cases that marriage is a fundamental right. In Maynard vs. Hill, back in 1888, the High Court said that marriage is "the most important relation in life."  Courts all across the land are saying the same thing.  There have been so many rulings in support of marriage equality this year it is hard to keep up.
 
More and more people are realizing that it is a matter of justice and fairness.  Slowly things are changing.  Nobody should have to wait though for equality.  It's a fundamental right!


No comments:

Post a Comment