Sunday, May 16, 2021

Farewell to a Trailblazer

Saying goodbye is never an easy thing to do, but saying goodbye to a friend who is also a legend, an icon, and a trailblazer, is even harder. Yesterday the mortal life of Felicia "Flames" Elizondo came to it's close.  I am sad.  It has been almost two years since I last saw her and the selfish part of me wanted so much to see her again.

She described herself as a Mexican-American “sissy” in 1950s Texas, a “hair fairy” in 1960s San Francisco, and finally as a transsexual woman from the 1970s forward. ("Transsexual" is the word she always used.  She would tell of her military service, of the Compton Cafeteria riots, of all the hate and discrimination she endured, and she often used the word "survivor."  She was indeed that, but she was also one-of-a-kind.  

Felicia was a walking history book. She loved to entertain and I will always remember her wonderful shows. I'll remember our lunches together too and the vast number of people she associated with. I'll remember all those Trans Marches and all the fundraisers and all the speeches on the steps of San Francisco City Hall. She made panels for the AIDS Memorial Quilt, worked for several different non-profits, and campaigned for causes she strongly believed in. 

One cause which was dear to her heart was getting the 100 block of Turk Street, San Francisco renamed Vicki Mar Lane in honor of drag performer Vicki Marlane, with whom she'd been friends.  That year she was on the Trans March Cable Car, and it all ended with the street sign unveiling.  I'll never forget the smile on her face that evening!  Now we need to get to work and name a street after Felicia!

Yesterday was sad when news came that Felicia Elizondo had passed, but it is comforting to know that many friends were able to visit her in the last few days and that Felicia wasn't alone.  It's also comforting to me to see the numerous obituaries and so many remembering her on social media.  

In just about an hour, I will be participating in my 33rd AIDS Walk San Francisco, and I have decided that this year, my participation will be in memory of dear Felicia Flames who was diagnosed as HIV positive way back in 1987.  I'm so glad she came our way!

No comments:

Post a Comment