Thursday, July 21, 2016

The diagnosis

Just a little over four years ago, a friend of mine was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer, with his doctor saying it would be a good idea start getting his affairs in order. The doctor said his chances were fifty-fifty. I can't even imagine how I would feel if I were the patient. I hope I would have the strength to endure.

It was not long after that that my sister took our mom to the hospital. Mom had been having trouble breathing. She had been living with leukemia for a number of years, but would soon discover another cancer was inside her. There was a two inch mass on her lung. I was right next to her bed when she was given the diagnosis and the grim news that there was nothing that could be done. I felt like someone had just punched me in the stomach. It had to have been much worse for Mom. Eleven days later, she passed away.

Last April, one of my favorite people in the world, found out he had liver cancer. Confident and faithful, he convinced me and so many others, that he was going to fight vigorously and that he was going to win. In telling friends last April, he said "Many, many thanks for your unrelenting support--we will make it through this, and we finally reach that point you will all be a much treasured, very beloved part of that victory." If wish he had been correct. Five months later, my friend quietly went home to his maker.
 
I don't know how I would react to a cancer diagnosis.  I do know I have seen enough!  This week I have been writing about that here (and I will have some more to say tomorrow), because it is important.  We can do something.  I do hope you will join me.  I invite you to share your thoughts below as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment