Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Love, not hate

Rarely does anyone post a comment here, although they are certainly welcome. I will post opposing viewpoints, are long as they are stated with respect and do not contain speech that would be offensive to most people. Yesterday someone tried to post an objection to what I had written in the morning. The vile and hateful comments were totally inappropriate to a blog where I try to focus on love and making a positive difference. I deleted the comment.

The point of my post here yesterday was that Michael Brown should not have been shot (numerous times) and killed in Ferguson, Missouri two years ago. I was trying to point out that this is still happening all over our country, and that we don't seem to be learning a thing. I urged readers to "Take a moment today to remember Michael, and commit yourself to making sure this kind of thing stops." I also asked "Two years later, are things any better?" Sadly, the answer seems to be no.

We need love, not hate. That's what it comes down to. So many lives cut short simply because of hate. It doesn't make sense to me. How can you hate a person because of their race? (Or because of their age, sexual orientation, gender, religion, or ethnicity)? I don't get it. I really don't. And for everyone who wants to change Black Lives Matter to All Lives Matter, you still don't get it. Of course all lives matter! Nobody is saying that isn't true, but ALL lives are not under attack.

I'm going to ask once more, and please take this seriously, because it is important. Our future depends on it. Focus on all those who were shot and killed because of their race. Remember them. If there is any hate in your heart, let love come to take its place, and then - let's do something. Seriously folks! We need to show love, but we also need to stand up against hate. I am talking largely to white America.  It is past time that we threw away our stupid white privilege and our contempt for anyone who is not just like us.  We need love, not hate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment