Tuesday, January 2, 2018

There's lots of good news

Yesterday I reminded your of some of the positive stories in the news during 2017, but there are more.  For some reason we seem to focus more on the negative, but there actually is lots of good news!

There were uplifting moments during various natural disasters.  We saw so many examples of everyday folks getting involved and making a difference.  It makes you feel good when you hear about people helping people, or even people helping cats!  Who can forget that Hurricane Harvey moment when we saw Gregory Pletcher holding a little kitten in his life vest, that he had rescued from the floodwaters in Cyprus, Texas?

There were a number of stories about homeless people that made it into the newspapers or on television.  One that really stands out for me was about a homeless veteran who received over $360K and now wants to pay it forward.  There are so many who don't just think of themselves.   It sure made me feel good when I heard him say "I just want to do the right thing."

Oh and the story about 93-year-old Clarence Purvis really touched me.  Clarence's wife Carolyn passed away four years ago, after 64 years of marriage.  (Something pretty much unheard of these days).  Even death cannot separate the two.  Whenever Clarence eats at a restaurant where they used to go, he sets up a framed photo of his late wife on the table.  That story moved me to tears.

These are just some of the good stories - the positive things happening that we heard about in 2017.  I'll remind you of more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment