Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Hooray for Colin

Yesterday Nike announced that they will make Colin Kaepernick the face of their "Just Do It" 30th anniversary campaign and while I joined in the cheering of many, there were also the crazies who once again felt the need to tear down Mr Kaepernick.  I don't get it.  The man is a hero - I have said that before right here. 
 
For those who still think that Colin Kaepernick dislikes this country, it's flag, or the military, let me share with you once again his own words:  "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color." He went on saying "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
 
There have already been protests against Nike and against Colin and folks showing pictures of coffins and cemeteries saying "This is what a real hero looks like."  Seriously?  Some think you have to be dead to be a hero?  Folks there is no cookie-cutter type hero out there.  How wonderful it is that they don't all have to be the same!  A hero though is someone who makes a difference for the better, and that certainly is the case for Colin Kaepernick.  To quote Jason Chu's song Marvels,  "We become heroes because of what makes us human."
 
When I see pictures of Colin looking into the face of his mother Teresa, I see love.  When I see Colin kneeling on the sidelines, I see love.  When I see Colin on stage speaking to children, I see love.  This is not a man who hates his country.  This is a man who loves his country that he wants to make it better.  He has already done so much.  Listen to him my friends.  Cheer him on and join him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment