Monday, July 3, 2023

When

I remember when I was still in high school hearing someone say "When will a day go by without some talk about racial discrimination?"  Recently, during Pride Month, I heard someone comment on the abundance of gay news stories saying "When will we stop hearing about gay rights?"  When indeed.

When I first came to San Francisco, a city with a large Asian population, I quickly found that there was prejudice against Asians.  There is even prejudice amongst Asians.  Yes, I actually heard "People from (my country) are better than people from (their country)."  Where I live now, there seems to be more and more.  I heard some anti-Asian remarks on my way home last night, which is what prompted me to write this.

When will it end.  Why do some people feel superior over others?  Why can't we all get along?  While it is true that discrimination has changed - some things are more protected by law, not everything has and often cruel incidents occur which nobody will then want to talk about.  There lately seems to have been a bit of progress (or at least people are talking).

We can put an end to discrimination.  We can end prejudice.  But, when?

No comments:

Post a Comment