Monday, June 5, 2023

41 years of AIDS

Today is the 42nd anniversary of the first published cases of what would later be known as acquired immunodeficiency syndrome or AIDS. It is also HIV Long-Term Survivors Awareness Day. Remember the names of all those we have lost, especially in the earliest days, and remember too all those living with HIV, as we continue the work to get to zero new HIV infections.

In addition to working for a cure, it's sad that we also have to keep fighting the stigma.  In the many years I have been writing this blog, I have devoted more space here to HIV/AIDS, and I am still amazed that so many still don't understand or in some cases, don't even care. HIV is not a gay disease. It's not a punishment for having done wrongs. It can be transmitted by homosexual AND heterosexual practices, and although it is primarily a sexually transmitted disease, there are other means of transmission.

Back in the early days of AIDS in the early '80s, HIV/AIDS was considered a death sentence. I can't tell you how many people I said goodbye to. I remember reporting on the lack of concern on the part of our leaders and even within the health community. Activists led the way, as so often is the case. Activist made a difference and continue to do so. I remember my first AIDS Walk 36 years ago and I am amazed at how that annual event has grown and has spread across the country.  I am also thinking this morning of my friends Gilberto and Jason and so many others who are participating in another AIDS LifeCycle.

I can remember the candlelight marches and the beginning of The Quilt.  I remember the celebrity deaths including Dack Rambo, Freddie Mercury, Robert Reed, and Liberace.  I can recall the first days of the Asian AIDS Project, which later became API Wellness and now is San Francisco Community Health.  I can remember fundraisers big and small and so many caring loving people who got involved.  I can remember so many heroes including Donald Francis, Elizabeth Glaser, Brownie Mary, Nurse Alison Moed, and Keith Haring.  Along the way I remember so many that we lost - so many lives cut short.

Now in 2023 I have no intention of giving up.  I'll keep fundraising and speaking up and talking until I drive some folks crazy.  I will also keep caring, because we have to care when we speak of human lives.  On this 42nd anniversary though, I will mostly be remembering and trying to recall each person I said goodbye to.  Today I will think back.  Today I am grateful for the progress, but I don't want us to keep having anniversaries.  

No comments:

Post a Comment