Monday, August 21, 2017

The sun ain't gonna shine

As everyone already knows, the moon will photobomb the sun for a while today, and will cause the sky to darken completely within a 70-mile-wide band that begins in Oregon and extends southeast across the country to South Carolina, with Nashville being the major city to experience the event, the.first total solar eclipse in the US since 1979.  If you are not within that area, you still may experience a dramatic partial eclipse, or you can simply watch on television.
 
Over the weekend, I read a lot about this spectacular happening and watched video, including Frank Reynolds' coverage of the last one.  (Reynolds, by the way, was an outstanding newsman, and someone I can say made a huge difference in our world).  I found it interesting that we will experience another total eclipse in just seven years, whereas the last one was thirty-eight years ago.  Oh and I learned that eclipses don't all last the same amount of time.  For this one, much of the country will experience the eclipse for about an hour and a half, but the peak of the eclipse will last only for about two minutes and 40 seconds.
 
Of course none of this has anything to do with making a difference in the world.  I thought some of you might be interest, but it really is off-subject.  Please forgive me.  I'm sure there are a lot of cool stories related to this, and some might include actual heroes - people who really do make a difference.  Maybe you would like to share one in the comments section below.  Meanwhile, I hear my radio playing "the sun ain't gonna shine anymore" and "Total eclipse of the heart."  Let's make this a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Commenting on my own post might seem odd, but after watching the eclipse the past several hours, I have to say how amazing I think it was. Wow! I watched via a Nashville, TN tv station's livestream, NBC, CNN, social media, and NASA. Outside where I am it rained most of the time, so I couldn't see anything here, but the media pictures were amazing. I also have to say that NBC News correspondent Miguel Almaguer, who I think it one of the best in the business, moved me to tears with his reporting and a moment he referred to as "spiritual." I will long remember this, but next time I want to get out and see it myself!

    ReplyDelete