Saturday, February 23, 2019

A tireless advocate is gone

I was stunned and shocked to learn last night that Jeff Adachi had passed away.  Back on August 15, 2017 I wrote about him here, and I really should have mentioned him more often because he was what this blog is all about - a true giver.

I will always remember the first time I met him.  It was at a bus shelter on Polk Street in San Francisco.  He was running for Public Defender for the first time and was explaining why he wanted to hold that office.  There was a passion in his voice and it was immediately obvious to me that he cared about other people.  He was elected and for the past sixteen years has been a fighter for those who most needed a voice.

I'll remember his annual participation in San Francisco's LGBT Pride Celebration too and the fun he had atop various floats.

Of course I will remember his screen credits too, especially his films The Slanted Screen, You Don't Know Jack: The Jack Soo Story, and America Needs a Racial Facial.  Two years ago, a documentary called Defender followed a racially charged case that Adachi tried.
 
There are so many things I could write about Jeff Adachi as an attorney, especially his 33 years in the Public Defender's Office and his five terms running that office.  The phrase that comes to mind though is tireless advocate.  Even the guilty deserve their day in court and with Adachi you knew you had competent representation.
 
Condolences to his wife and daughter and to the people of San Francisco who have lost a great man.  Thank you Jeff for making a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment