Thursday, February 14, 2019

Thinking of those who have gone before

I miss my mom.  It's been nearly six years since she passed away, but I still miss her a lot.  I think of her on the anniversaries of her death and birth and also at Christmas, Easter, and even Valentine's Day.  I always got a Valentine from her!  Always.
 
Mom isn't the only one I think of.  I think of my dad, and he has been gone a lot longer.  I think of Nana and Grandpa, of Aunt Dee, of dear friends who died recently or others who have long been deceased.  Someone told be I had a serious problem, but that isn't the case.  It is normal to remember those who have gone before and to carry them in our hearts. 

In Harvey Fierstein's Torch Song Trilogy, the character Arnold says to his mother that he misses his partner who was murdered. His mother replies "Give yourself time Arnold.  It gets better.  But Arnold it never goes away.  You can work longer hours, adopt a son, fight with me, whatever.  It'll still be there.  It becomes a part of you.  Like learning to wear a ring or eyeglasses.  You get used to it and that's good.  It's good because it makes sure you don't forget.  You don't want to forget him do you?
 
Never forget the wonderful folks you meet during life's journey.  Memories are precious and are an important part of life itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment