Thursday, February 27, 2020

Is there anything more wonderful than a hug?

Let me ask you a question.  Is there anything more wonderful than a hug?  Two people put their arms around one another and closely hold each other.  Sometimes it's quick and sometimes each holds on a long time.  It feels good.  It gives you a sense of security.
 
Mom always loved hugging and she was especially happy when she met someone who was comfortable giving a nice big bear hug.  I guess I follow in her footsteps, because I sure love a nice big hug too!  Who doesn't?  A nice a sincere hug with no expectation of anything further can give you a big lift!

At the hospital where I volunteer, a woman said the other day "I could sure use a hug."  You should have seen the smile on her face when I turned around and gave her one!
 
I read once that a sincere hug that lasts longer than twenty seconds can release feel-good chemicals in the brain and elevate the mood of both the giver and receiver. Sorry, but I don't recall the source of that, but even if it isn't accurate, hugging feels good and who can argue with that?

No comments:

Post a Comment