Sunday, February 4, 2024

Fifty

Walking down an unfamiliar street in Nashville many years ago, it suddenly began to rain. It wasn't a light shower but rather a cold and pounding downpour. I wasn't wearing an overcoat and had no umbrella, so I was soaked almost immediately. My usual sunny disposition had turned to quite the opposite, but all that was about to change for the better.
 
Hurrying up the sidewalk with water pouring off of me, I looked down and there in front of me was a fifty-dollar bill! Oh my! Suddenly the rain didn't seem so bad. If it hadn't been raining, surely that money would have blown away. I put it in my pocket and continued on my way.
 
Later when I mentioned my good luck to a friend, he said "But it isn't yours. Did you even try to find the rightful owner?"
 
This wasn't a wallet or an identifiable piece of property. It was US currency that someone had likely dropped without knowing, but since I didn't witness it, how could I possibly find the person it belonged to?
 
I'm telling you this story today to solicit your thoughts. Was I wrong to keep it? Was that a dishonest act? What would YOU have done?

No comments:

Post a Comment