Monday, May 10, 2021

More gun violence

Over the weekend there was more gun violence - a lot more. It seems like it's happening more and more. I asked (on social media) "When will we start doing something about it?" A reply came: "How are you gonna make it stop. Do you really think you can change human nature of violence with a policy?"  I've heard the "criminals will always find a way" argument for years, but does that mean we should do nothing?

Three people in New York City were wounded - three people who happened to be near each other but didn't know each other.  All will survive, but this weekend will be one they will never forget, and for all of the wrong reasons.  One of the three was a four-year-old girl.

Victims in other parts of the country were not all as lucky.  Several of the shootings resulted in fatalities.  I can keep writing about these mass shootings here, but does anyone actually read these words?  "Oh bullets took more lives.  Nope.  I'm not going to read this one."  I can picture you mentally turning off because it's just more of the same.  Meanwhile I keep insisting that we have to do something.  

No, I don't have the answer.  I do know that human life is precious and that nobody's life should end this way.  I also know that we are intelligent and if we care, we can find an answer.  The significant thing here though is caring.  It seems to me that nobody cares anymore.  Please tell me I am wrong.  Please tell me that YOU care.

No comments:

Post a Comment