Sunday, January 9, 2022

someone is always listening

Early this morning I saw a tweet from someone I know from social media.  It made me think.  Not long after that, I tweeted a message similar to his - about suicide hotlines.  I'd like to reach a lot more people than that tweet though, so this morning I'm writing something here as well.  Yes, I did just write about this a few weeks ago, but it very important

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States. It was responsible for more than 47,500 deaths in 2019. They further report that in that same year, 12 million American adults seriously thought about suicide, 3.5 million made a plan, and 1.4 million actually attempted suicide.

Just like there isn't just one cause, there also isn't just one remedy.  It begins though with caring.  Be there.  Listen.  Suicide prevention is everyone's business.  Be aware of the services that exist.  I'm not a mental health professional, but I care, and I know that suicide can be prevented.

All lives are precious and nobody should feel that things are hopeless or that they are all alone.  If you are in crisis, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255) or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741-741.  Call that same number if you are concerned about someone in your life.  They can help.  The CDC also has an excellent website at https://www.cdc.gov/suicide/

Make a difference.  Save a life.  If you need help or know someone who does, call.  Remember you don't have to be alone and someone is always listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment