Friday, May 12, 2023

Pollyanna?

To say that I am too Pollyanna, as some have, is not only insulting, but also inaccurate. The heroine of Eleanor H. Porter's famous 1913 novel "Pollyanna," was indeed an optimist and probably a bit too much of one. I am optimistic, but also realistic. I believe in good but know that life is not always sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows.  

There is something else here though - usually we think of Pollyanna as someone who considers themselves better than others, and with me, that is certainly not the case.  I never seek fame or attention.  I don't try to set myself as an authority.  My suggestions here each day are just that and seldom (this being one of those rare occasions) do I even talk about myself here.  This is NOT about me.

This is about all of us though.  ALL of us.  This is about making a bright future.  This is about caring.  This is about change.  This is about love and respect.  This is about justice and equality.  This is about making a difference in our world.  We all have the power to do this and we can me reasonably optimistic that positive things are going to happen.  Optimism is not a bad thing.  Working for good - working for sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows, can never be a bad thing.

Perhaps we are all a bit Pollyanna, or want to be.  The important thing is to never give up and to always strive for the good that we deserve and that is certainly there, if we let it be.

No comments:

Post a Comment