Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The great teacher inspires

William Arthur Ward who wrote more than a hundred articles, poems, books, and meditations, had this to say about teachers: “The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.” Mr. Ward sure got that right! 
 
I'm always talking about people who inspire me and there are certainly teachers on that list.  The men and women in our classroom are too often taken for granted, but they can make a huge difference in the lives of many.  My aunt was a teacher and I've also dated a few teachers and I've seen firsthand the care and concern they have for what they do and for their students.  Yes, there are bad teachers and ones that just go through the motions, but isn't that true with any job?  It's time we showed more appreciation for our schoolteachers and gave them more support.
 
Today is Teacher Appreciation Day, and the whole week is dedicated to celebrating our country’s educators.  Think about the teachers that touched your life.  Are they still somewhere where you can contact them?  Send them a note of thanks!  I wish I could do that with Lou Ella Gridley, my fifth grade teacher.  She was like no other and I'll tell you more sometime.  I was fortunate enough to have a superior teacher the very next year and I certainly will never forget Letha Sines, my sixth grade teacher.
 
If you have school age children, pay close attention to the men and women who spend so much time each day giving them instruction.  Take notice of all the good they do.  Think of your friends and relatives also who might be teachers. 
 
Teachers make a difference.  I'm so grateful for Miss Gridley, Miss Sines, my dear Aunt Dee, Robert, Emilio, and so many teachers for have influenced my life.  Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment