Friday, June 2, 2017

Jason

How appropriate it is that AIDS LifeCycle takes place during LGBT Pride Month and that Jason Villalobos is there on his bike once again, making the trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles. I first met Jason back in 2009 when he made an impassioned speech at an Save ADAP (AIDS Drug Assistance Program) event on the steps of San Francisco City Hall. Since then I have had the great pleasure f getting to know him and to see close up his dedication to HIV/AIDS awareness and advocacy and other important lgbt issues. I learned instantly that Jason's heart is the biggest of anyone you will ever meet. I know this blog is not about me, but I would be remiss if I didn't mention that he cares so much about people, that he called me just this week, because he was concerned about me.

As you read this, Jason has probably packed and is ready to head up to the Cow Palace in Daly City to hop on his bike and do what I believe is his seventh AIDS Walk.  It is his inspiration that keeps me writing this blog and his determination that gets me out to AIDS Walk each summer to do my little bit in this fight for a cure.  I'm thrilled that he made his goal this year.  You can push his total even higher too - just click HERE to donate.

I'm one of the lucky ones who has been able to spend time with many different lgbt heroes.  Many of those lgbt superstars are non-gay too - yes, our allies can make a huge difference.  Each person has contributed in different ways.  We still have a long way to go though.  During his inaugural address on January 21, 2013, President Barack Obama said "Our journey is not complete until our gay brothers and sisters are treated like anyone else under the law for if we are truly created equal, then surely the love we commit to one another must be equal as well." 

Jason Villalobos shines as a bright light, not only for HIV/AIDS education and awareness, but in the struggle for all lgbt people to be treated equally.  Jason is my first Pride Month hero, and as I said yesterday, I will be writing about lgbt matters all month long, because lgbt matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment