Monday, June 5, 2017

Thanks Ellen

Just over a month ago, we celebrated "The Puppy Episode" of Ellen, the groundbreaking sitcom on abc-tv.  I have written here a number of time about its star Ellen DeGeneres, who inspired me to begin writing a daily kindness blog and who put a face on the lgbt community.  Yes there had been other out lgbt celebrities, but Ellen was the girl-next-door and showed the world that gay people are just...well, just people.

Writing here about lgbt topics during the LGBT Pride Month, I just had to say something about Ellen once again.  She's one of my heroes!  I have actually enjoyed her since the very first time I saw her with Johnny Carson on The Tonight Show, way back in the 80s, but now I don't just love her as a performer, I admire and respect all that she does for the the lgbt community and for the world.

Her mom, Betty DeGeneres is pretty great too.  I had the great privilege of meeting Betty, and I hope to someday meet Ellen too.  Betty is an active member of Parents & Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG) and spokesperson for the Human Rights Campaign's Coming Out Project.  She authored two books about Ellen's coming out and their relationship: Love, Ellen: A Mother Daughter Journey and Just a Mom.

Every single time Ellen says "my wife," I smile.  It wasn't that long ago when we simply wouldn't hear a woman refer to another woman as her wife, even if they were gay.  It just wasn't said.  On her talk show, Ellen entertains, but she is quick to hit the political button when necessary and she won't shy away from lgbt issues.

One more things though - Ellen is a gay woman who has done so much for the lgbt community, but she does wonderful things for every community.  The people she honors on her program are all kinds of neighborhood heroes, and that Ellen showcases these individuals, I think makes her even more of a hero.  Thanks Ellen!

No comments:

Post a Comment