Thursday, November 23, 2017

with grateful hearts

While most of you are gobbling up turkey today, I know that great sadness is present for many too.  If you lost a loved one around this time of year or if it's the first big holiday without a certain relative or friend, it can be difficult.  Remembering the Jonestown Massacre, the JFK Assassination, or the Moscone - Milk murders, all of which occurred in late November, or thinking of the passing of a favorite celebrity like David Cassidy, can put a cloud on the festivities.

There has been a lot of bad news in general these days, and especially the many instances of sexual inappropriateness, and that can also put a damper on the cheerfulness that usually accompanies a holiday like this.  None of this means we shouldn't be thankful and none of this means we shouldn't celebrate.

Thanksgiving Day is one of the most basic kinds of holidays.  It's centered around family, friends, food, and tradition.  At the heart of it all is our grateful attitude.  We all have something to be thankful for - it might not seem like it at times, but there is something. 

I recently asked some of my friends what they are thankful for.  One person was grateful to have recovered enough from a stroke that he can return to work.  Another person said they were grateful their spouse beat her cancer.  My sister told me this week she is grateful for me!  I'm personally grateful for many things, including my health, my friends and family, and for being connected to so many people. 

With a truly grateful heart, I wish you all a happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment