Thursday, February 3, 2022

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Aretha Louise Franklin had a tremendous success with a song called "Respect," and I could easily write page after page about both that recording and about Miss Franklin herself, but this morning there is something else I want to say about respect. It seems many folks have forgotten what it is!

It was over sixty years ago that President Dwight D. Eisenhower said "This world of ours... must avoid becoming a community of dreadful fear and hate, and be, instead, a proud confederation of mutual trust and respect." I wonder how many were listening.
 
Rude or insulting behavior or a lack of common courtesy is the opposite of respect.  There seems to be a trend these days to show disrespect and it is becoming acceptable.  Generally I try to write from the positive perspective here.  Let me tell you about some heroes or let me show you some positive ideas or here are some good things to do.  I don't usually write about what NOT to do.  So today, I don't want to dwell on that growing trend toward disrespect.  Instead I want to remind everyone how wonderful it is to be polite and courteous.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I'm not saying we should always agree with everything.  Absolutely not!  We can disagree with others and still have a respectful discussion.

One of the biggest ways we can show respect these days is to follow the guidelines for protecting ourselves and others from COVID-19.  If you must be out, keep your distance!  It has always been true that crowding someone's personal space is rude, but now it can be a health matter too.  Wear a mask around others too.  Be considerate of their space.
 
No?  I can already hear someone disagreeing with me on this one.  That's okay.  Tell me about it though.  I'd love to hear your thoughts, as long as you share them with respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment