Thursday, March 11, 2021

Why not?

STILL STANDING AGAINST HATE

Wasn't it Hillary Duff that had a hit about eighteen years ago with a song called "Why Not"? (Can you believe that I am making a blog entry quoting Hillary Duff? YIKES!) That two word sentence though has become something of a mantra to me. I am ALWAYS asking WHY NOT!

You can't possibly do that many things? There is no way will will ever change our way of doing things.  Hate has always been around.  We will never get rid of it.  WHY NOT??  Racism isn't going away they say.  We can't do anything about it.  WHY NOT??  We'll never wipe out cancer.  Again, why not?  That guy will never date you! We're never going to have as many people in church as in ages past (according to some).  We couldn't possibly raise that amount of money! Business lost during this pandemic cannot ever be regained.  Again, why not??! Whenever that voice of gloom and doom rears its ugly head and says that something just can't happen, I say "WHY NOT"?

Perhaps my inspiration is the late Robert Kennedy who said "Some men see things as they are and ask, 'Why?' I dream things that never were and ask, 'Why not'?" Maybe my inspiration is Blessed Paul the Apostle who was in ill health and even was imprisoned, yet he still continued to spread the Good News.  Yesterday I had a few moments where all numerous hate crimes against Asians really got to me.  It wasn't the first time either.  I broke down in tears and kept asking "What can we do"?  Well, years ago a very wise man told me to never give up.  He was an inspiration too and I will continue to stand against hate - all hate.  You have to believe.

I will admit that there are discouraging moments, but we cannot give up.  I guess my message for today then is, don't take no for an answer! Always ask "why not"?

No comments:

Post a Comment