Monday, July 12, 2021

On my soapbox

Some days this seems more like my soapbox than the blog I originally intended. There are also many days when I don't go nearly far enough. Oh and then there are days like today when I post several hours late. (I did have an excuse. I coronary incident sent me to the ED and I only got home from hospital a few minutes ago). Anyway, I try not to talk about me in this space and I also try not to spend too much time on my soapbox, but sometimes things just HAVE to be said.

Over the weekend a gay couple was subjected to homophobic and xenophobic verbal insults on over a parking space dispute in Alexandria, Virginia. In Las Vegas, a woman spewing anti-Asian remarks and punching a 6-year-old boy has been arrested and charged with a hate crime. New York City experienced more hate crimes in the first half of this year than in all of last year, according to data released last week by the New York Police Department. Hate is bigger and bigger all the time.

On top of this there is a greater division in this country than I have ever seen.  I personally witnessed some hate in the past 24 hours.  It was disgusting.  There are people who think COVID-19 is fake.  Yes, even after sixteen months and massive deaths all around the world, some people still think it isn't real.  Oh and the vaccine?  Even more say they won't get the shot and they won't wear a mask either.

Laying in bed in the Emergency Department, I had a lot of time to think.  Why does hate exist?  Why does it seem to be growing?  Why do people seem to care less about each other?  I sure wish I had some answers.  I do know we need to do something.  Good people need to stand up and say "Enough!"  The other blog I write is about kindness and I can't stop thinking that one thing we so desperately need is more kindness.  Are you with me?  Can we put the bitterness and mean attitudes aside and make this country friendlier?  What do YOU think?

No comments:

Post a Comment