Thursday, August 21, 2014

Light the Night

Several years ago when my mother was first diagnosed with leukemia, I started paying more attention to the disease.  Singer Mary Travers has been battling leukemia for the past ten years.  Bill Walsh, the talented head coach of the San Francisco 49'ers lost his life to leukemia.  There have been many famous faces on the disease, but it was Mom that made me pay attention. A couple of years ago I even signed up for the Light the Night Walk.
 
The Mayo Clinic website has some very good information about leukemia HERE and you can also check out the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society webpage HERE.
 
Now you may think that all I ever talk about is disease and fundraisers to fight disease, but that is only part of how we can make a difference in the world.  It isn't just the money raising too - raising awareness is very important and that's why I really like events like this.  Light the Night shines a light on the importance of finding cures and providing access to treatments for blood cancer patients and it brings together families and friends and entire communities to honor blood cancer survivors, and to remember those lost to the diseases.
 
There are events all over the US and Canada and you can find one near you on the website at http://www.lightthenight.org/ where you can also register to participate, donate money, or even volunteer.  I'll be out at AT&T Park here in San Francisco for our local event in September, and I would be honored to have your support.  Click HERE to donate on my behalf.  Thanks so much, and if you have a moment, learn a little bit about leukemia and share that knowledge with friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment