Thursday, November 12, 2020

I can almost smell the turkey!

November is the favorite month of the year for many, and Thanksgiving Day is a big reason why. Since I was just a kid I have always loved Thanksgiving and while I know it is still a couple weeks away, I can almost smell the turkey now! I thought I'd take a moment to talk about what it all means.

First of all, as much as I love turkey, I really don't like the nickname "Turkey Day." Thanksgiving is so much more of course. (Not to mention that not everyone eats turkey, although I don't know why). As much fun as the football games are, and the huge feast, and the preparations for Christmas, the big thing is coming together and giving thanks. Some other countries do similar observances, but only Canada does pretty much the same customs as in the US, except that theirs is a bit earlier, in October.  The holiday has traditionally been a celebration of the blessings of the (agricultural) year, including the harvest. More recently a lot of folks have included all blessings that have come their way during the year (and some folks, during their lifetime).  Families generally gather to celebrate and often in larger number than at any other time during the year.  This year because of the pandemic there will be less travel and perhaps a lot of zoom Thanksgivings.
 
So giving thanks and being together with family and friends is what it's all about.  Now of course we didn't have to wait until today.  Being thankful all the time would be great.  2020 has been a crazy year, but there have been good things along the way.  If you are reading this, one good thing is that you are still around.  Let's always be thankful, not on just one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment