Thursday, February 4, 2016

We can. I can.

Uniting the people of the world in the fight against cancer, today is World Cancer Day. This is a good time to shine a lot on these diseases and to do something. It seems like an awful lot of cancer deaths have occurred in the past month. Officially, 8.2 million people die from some form of cancer worldwide each year.

Today is about raising awareness and education about the disease and about raising funds for treatment and research. For me, it is personal. My grandmother died with stomach cancer. My mom lived with leukemia for a number of years and then was attacked by lung cancer as well. I had a very dear friend die of liver cancer fairly recently. Years ago, I worked for the American Cancer Society, and things I learned then have stuck with me. We can beat cancer. We need to work together.

There have been incredible advances. Many cancers are treatable these days. We do still have a long way to go though. In November, I will once again participate in the Light the Night Walk in San Francisco, something I do every year. If you'd like to donate, click HERE. You are welcome to come and walk with me. There are so many things that we all can do to help spread the word and to make a difference. Check out the American Cancer Society website HERE. There's also a website especially for today http://www.worldcancerday.org - chock full of information.

Let's do it!  Let's beat cancer!

No comments:

Post a Comment