Monday, August 3, 2020

About Ellen

This blog has been around now for over twelve years, and in that time I have probably mentioned Ellen DeGeneres more than any other person. I once wrote "She doesn't just talk about being kind, she IS kind, and she makes a difference every single day." 

Lately there has been a LOT said about her, and I think it's time for me to say something about all of that.  I have never met Ellen, although I have been present a couple of times at events where she was also present.  I did have the joy of meeting Betty DeGeneres, her dear mother.  That was way back, shortly after Ellen came out.  With every mention of Ellen, Betty lit up like a Christmas tree.  Her love was quite obvious.

So many have expressed love and admiration for Ellen DeGeneres over the years, but lately it seems so many would just through her under the bus.  Is this fair?  Yeah some folks think she is mean.  I'm pretty sure some folks are not fond of me too.

As I said, I never met the woman, and I have no first-hand knowledge of what goes on behind the scenes at her show.  I have looked over the supposedly harsh rules for her audience members, and actually they are pretty standard.  The rest of it, I just don't know. I'm sure she doesn't want me to talk about her as much as I do, but it's all true.

There are many things though that I do know.  Ellen has helped out many individuals and organizations on her daily talk show, more than I could even estimate. Sometimes it's hard for me to make it through her program without breaking into tears. She not only gives away money and merchandise, but she brings needed attention to various causes.  Over the years she has supported The Trevor Project, PETA, Habitat For Humanity, Project Cuddle, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Farm Sanctuary, and Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Also It Gets Better Project, Love Our Children USA, Elton John AIDS Foundation, Artists Against Racism, Clothes Off Our Back, Stand Up To Cancer, Heifer International, and many others.

Can she be mean sometimes and good at other times?  Absolutely.  Let's be fair though.  Let's listen to her and let her work on things.  She said in a statement that she was going to do that. 

One more thing:  Ellen risked her entire career when she came out.  She and others on the show received threats. No matter what anyone says about her and whatever turns out to be the case at her talk show, she certainly was bold when she came out back in 1997.  Think about it.   Ellen didn’t just change lives. She saved them!

No comments:

Post a Comment