Friday, September 25, 2020

are you looking for some pizza?

Even in the midst of a pandemic, people are still ordering pizza and delivering that pizza is often seen as a good way to make some extra money. When 89-year-old Derlin Newey needed help with his bills, even he turned to work as a pizzaman for some additional income.

Now I have never delivered pizza (or anything else) but I imagine it can be tiring, especially the repetition of going up to house after house after house. From all accounts though, Mr Newey seems to have fun with it. His greeting, once the door is opened is "Hello, are you looking for some pizza?" Some of his stops are regular customers. Folks get to know him. One of those regulars is Carlos Valdez, who spends quite a bit of time doing videos on TikTok as vendingheads. Some of his newest videos have been of pizzaman Derlin Newey.

Should a guy nearing his 90s have so work so hard to make ends meet? Apparently Carlos Valdez didn't think so. He asked his TikTok followers to pitch in some money, but never dreamed of the outpouring. $12,000 was raised by the folks on TikTok, which when presented to Mr Newey brought tears to his eyes.

I'm in the midst of an annual fundraiser for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and have fallen way behind in what I have hoped to raise.  I thought just the other day how wonderful it would be if a whole bunch of strangers came together and helped me to my goal.  While thinking that, I came across this wonderful heartwarming story of all those who helped out the pizzaman.  Seeing such love and kindness is always such a wonderful thing.  I hope Mr Newey will be able to have some rest now, but it would be nice if somehow his regular customers could still see him.

No comments:

Post a Comment