Saturday, June 19, 2021

Ellen and Betty

Ellen DeGeneres just might have been written about here in this space, more than any other person.  I like her.  She makes me happy.  I would love to meet her some day.  I did have the joy of meeting her mother Betty years ago, and her love and kindness was immediately apparent.

Ellen has come under fire for being mean and for having a hostile workplace environment.  Although I'm very suspicious of these accusations (the Ellen I see is kind, caring, and generous), I have no direct knowledge, and so won't go in to that.  I will point out the fact that Ellen DeGeneres has done a LOT of good for the LGBTQ community.

Coming out was perhaps not a great career move (it did result in not working for a while), it was good and right to live as her true self.  The public support from her mother made a difference too.  Very supportive she is!  Betty DeGeneres is an active member of PFLAG (Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays) and was the first non-gay spokesperson for the Human Rights Campaign's National Coming Out Project.

The generous acts of Ellen are legendary.  She gives privately all the time and her very public acts of giving on her tv talk show occur all the time.  I'd like to know how many families and how many individuals have been helped out and had their lives changed because of Ellen DeGeneres.  Of course Ellen's very visible marriage to Portia Lee James DeGeneres is also a positive sign for the LGBTQ community.

Thank you Ellen and thank you Betty.  You both are continuing to make a very positive difference every single day.

No comments:

Post a Comment