Thursday, June 3, 2021

She did it all

Words like icon and trailblazer are often tossed about and almost seem to lose their meaning, but Felicia Elizondo truly was those things, and Felicia Elizondo did it all. She was a drag performer, a phone operator, a nurse's aide, a clerk, a receptionist, a sex worker, and many other things. I think the thing I will remember her most though is her activism.

I have written about her here before, the last time though was the hardest. Last month, Felicia passed away, and I wanted to be sure people knew of her. Felicia said she was a Mexican-American “sissy” back in 1950s Texas, a “hair fairy” in 1960s San Francisco, and finally a transsexual woman from the 1970s forward.  Hair fairy:  I never heard anyone else ever use that term.  Oh and the stories she could tell.  She called herself a survivor, and indeed she was.  Nobody should have to endure so many hurdles, but Felicia did and it made her stronger.

She was involved in so many projects in the years that I knew her, including the TransMarch in San Francisco, held every year at the start of Pride Weekend. I think though she was most proud of was getting the 100 block of Turk Street in San Francisco renamed Vicki Mar Lane in honor of drag performer Vicki Marlane, with whom she'd been friends.  Felicia worked with local government and stayed with the project until it happened.  Oh and the smile on her face the day of the unveiling was priceless.  

I remember her appearance on the old Phil Donohue show and I remember our lunches at the Olive Garden.  I remember the fundraisers and her speeches on the steps of San Francisco City Hall.  Many called her Felicia Flames, which seems particularly appropriate now, because I know her flame will burn forever.  Thanks Felicia for paving the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment