Friday, June 18, 2021

We like her

From her days as Gidget, Sister Bertrille, Sally Burton, Sybil, and Norma Rae, we have loved Sally Field as an actress. She has been awarded two Academy Awards, three Emmys, two Golden Globe Awards, and a Screen Actors Guild Award. She was indeed correct telling us "You like me, right now, you like me!"

There are so many more reasons though to like Sally Field and one is because she is a active LGBTQ ally.  Now I know that everyone should be an ally, but that just isn't so.  Some are more vocal about their support like Lin-Manuel Miranda whom I wrote about yesterday, or California Governor Gavin Newsom, who got the ball rolling for marriage equality.  Sally speaks out for various reasons, and one is because she loves her openly gay son.

As I mentioned, Sally has received a lot of awards. One though was not for acting. Sally was awarded the Human Rights Campaign's Ally for Equality Award in 2012 and watching her acceptance was very moving. After being introduced that night by her son Sam Greisman, Sally told the audience "Sam was different, and his journey to allow himself what nature intended him to be was not an easy one. As his mother, I consider it one of the great privileges of my life to be part it.” (That award ceremony is available on youtube HERE).

Thank you Sally Field and thanks to every single ally for making a difference.  By the way, tomorrow I am going to write about another ally and her famous daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment