Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Respect

Some of you may have been following the story of a public school teacher on the East Coast, who claims that using trans students' preferred pronouns would "damage children, defile the holy image of God." The more I know about this story, the more worked up I get, and so I just had to write something this morning.

First, more from the teacher: "I love all of my students, but I will never lie to them regardless of the consequences. I’m a teacher but I serve God first. And I will not affirm that a biological boy can be a girl and vice versa because it is against my religion. It’s lying to a child. It’s abuse to a child. And it’s sinning against our God."

Back in the 60s, world the heavyweight champion announced that he no longer would be known by his birth name, but as Muhammad Ali instead. There were so many who wouldn't give him that basic respect though and continued using his dead name.  Most transgender people change their name as do many other people for various reasons.  Gerald R Ford's name was changed from his birth name.  Respect says that I will call you what you want to be called.  This extends beyond just your name but also includes pronouns.  I personally prefer to be called he and referred to as him.  Anything else is just plain rude.  

Now this teacher was suspended without pay because he refused to respect trans students' pronouns.  The school district suspended him and now the teacher is suing the school district.  Yesterday a judge ruled that the teacher was exercising his free speech and ordered the school to "immediately reinstate the plaintiff to his position as it was prior to the issuance of his suspension."

In my opinion, this teacher's argument is specious and in no way reflective of faith, only of an attempt to misuse faith to protect his own prejudice.  It's just the latest in a series of attacks on our transgender sisters and brothers.  Certainly the teacher has a right to his own beliefs and opinions, but he does not have the right to be rude and disrespectful.  If we are talking about sin and disrespecting God, I can think of nothing more sinful than showing hate toward other human beings.

No comments:

Post a Comment