Thursday, June 2, 2022

A month of Pride

June is filled with Pride Celebrations, especially in larger cities. There is a focus on our LGBTQ+ sisters and brothers and it seems everything is seen through a rainbow lens, even if only for this one month. There is a certain joy that show up every year at this time, but what's it all mean?

Are you proud? What are you proud of? I don't always understand the use of the word "pride" in this place. When we said freedom it made more sense to me, but pride, that one doesn't quite sound the same. (Gay Freedom Day was a name many places originally used for this event). What do you think? I tend to think of pride more in accomplishments, but being gay is just part of who I am. I'm certainly not proud of my blue eyes. Yes, they are nice, but Mom and Dad had much more to do with it than me and I pretty much think that's the case with my sexual orientation too. But this of course is NOT about me so, what do you think?

How about the celebrations - do we need so many? Do we still need any at all? As Pride Month begins, I'd really be interested in your thoughts. As the month rolls on, I'll be posting some stories of our past, some of our heroes, and a look forward to our future. Hopefully there will be a day ahead with no more prejudice and no more hate. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment