Friday, June 24, 2022

Statement on SCOTUS Ruling

The Supreme Court in a 6-3 decision today overturned Roe vs. Wade, the landmark ruling that established the constitutional right to abortion in the US back in 1973. You have probably already heard that. The court's ruling gives individual states the power to set their own abortion laws and almost half the states are expected to outlaw or severely restrict abortion as a result of the High Court's decision. Other states plan to maintain more liberal rules governing the termination of pregnancies. Only once in the fourteen years I have written this blog, have I made a second entry on any day (the other was when my mother died). This blog was never about me, but it is about all of us, and we need to get involved. We need to care.  My personal thoughts are below.

Today, the Supreme Court of the United States took us back 50 years. Women will die as a result of today's decision, and I find it disgusting that six Justices either don't care about that reality or don't understand it.

For American people to not care about each other, is shocking, but no surprise. Our country has been moving in that direction for a long time. I'm sad. For much of the country, this is Pride Weekend - a time to celebrate. I don't really feel much like celebrating.

I'm not giving up though. I still have hope. I hope for many this will be a wake-up call. We need to start caring about each other again. We need to get involved.
                                                                                                 -Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment