Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Checking in on Kenneth

It was in 2020 that I first wrote about Kenneth W. Felts, calling him "proof that it is never too late." At the time Mr Felts was participating in the 2020 Denver Pride Virtual 5K, an event to benefit The Center on Colfax, an lgbtq+ organization in Denver, Colorado. He did it with a walker and while wearing a rainbow hoodie, and he raised quite a bit.

I gave an update on him here a year ago. We chatted a bit and he told me how free he feels. I suppose that is one of the benefits of coming out. He has also written a book, My Handful of Stars: Coming Out at Age 90, which tells the story of his life and of his coming out.  He also talks about the difficulty of acting non-gay in a dangerous and non-accepting world.

Oh and then there is his art!  I've only seen pictures, but I can say without any hesitation, that Mr Felts is quite talented.

The part of his story though that breaks my heart, is that he spent 90 years in the closet.  Oh my!  Many folks don't even live that long.  I cannot imagine going through life and not being my true and authentic self.  I am so happy that things changed a couple of years ago and that he can now live freely and with a partner whom he loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment