Thursday, February 19, 2015

this is what friends are made of

There is nothing more powerful than friendship. It has been said that a true friend reaches for your hand and touches your heart.  Indeed.  What I write about here every single morning is pretty simple:  doing good things for other.  Yes, I talk about paying back and changing the world, but that's what comes from these simple acts.  This is what friends are made of.
 
I try to tell stories that don't directly involve me because after all, this blog isn't supposed to be about me - it's about ALL of us and how we ALL can make a difference.  From time to time though I have to tell you about people who touch me directly and yesterday there was one such event.
 
Years ago I met a wonderful man when we both lived in San Francisco.  He moved away a long time back but still has family there.  We've kept in touch but don't see each other.  Anyway, yesterday he went to the place where my mother is buried, bringing flowers and saying prayers and then taking a few pictures to share with me.  He knew I couldn't be there.  He even realized it was the first holiday season since she passed away that I would not be visiting.  Early this morning as I looked at the pictures he had taken, I had tears streaming down my cheeks.  His simple act made such a difference.
 
There are all kinds of examples I could give.  There certainly isn't just one thing that describes friends.  I can tell you though that it is one of the most wonderful things in the world to be a friend and to have a friend.  May your new years be filled with new (and old) friendships!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment