Thursday, August 22, 2013

Barking up the right tree

This Saturday, Bark For Life, a non-competitive walk event for dogs and their owners to raise funds and awareness of the American Cancer Society, will take place here in San Francisco.  The fight against cancer has always been important to me.  Years ago I worked for the Cancer Society and of course it was cancer that took my mother earlier this year.  That isn't though why I am mentioning Bark For Life here.  (Although by all means, go if you are in the Bay Area.  You don't even have to bring a dog.  It begins with a walk, but then continues with demonstrations, contests, games, and a whole lot of fun - Saturday July 21st from 9am to 2pm at the House of Air at Crissy Field here in San Francisco).
 
Anyway, as I said, I'm not mentioning it because I want to get lots of folks to go there.  I mention it because it is a wonderfully creative idea to make a difference.  This event helps a charity, provides information, and is fun.  It reminds me of AIDS Walk.  Instead of just asking for money, here is a way to raise funds while at the same time doing a whole lot more.  Next month's Light the Night Walk for the Leukemia Society is going to be an event like that too.  Many individuals do cool things to raise awareness, raise money, and have fun at the same time.  Yes, we like the car washes and rummage sales and spaghetti suppers too, but this other kind of event uses a lot of imagination and does so many good things all at once.
 
Ideas?  I'm sure some of you who read this will have additional ideas.  I invite you to share them here so we can all benefit!

No comments:

Post a Comment