Monday, December 8, 2014

Sometimes silence is better

When I first wake up in the morning, often before even brushing my teeth, I think of what I will say here in this place. Sometimes I write a lot, but usually it is just a few paragraphs. The theme of course is making a difference in this world - giving back - doing good. There is so much I can write, but sometimes I am almost at a loss for words. Should I some days be quiet and say nothing?  Late yesterday, I was listening to a sermon by Father Bill Rhodes, and it hit me that what he was saying, would be perfect for me to write about today.
 
Father Bill is an exceptional preacher.  He is an exceptional human being!  I first met him over thirty years ago and, although I seldom see him (we live in different cities), will always have a special place for him in my heart.  Whenever possible, I read or listen to sermons he preaches and I am never disappointed.  Today he was at Trinity Cathedral, an Episcopal Church in the city of Phoenix. 
 
I wish I had the text of his sermon.  It could be quietly read.  Sometimes silence is better.  Wait!  Those were his exact words - "Sometimes silence is better." Perhaps a little silence from me would be appropriate and instead, we can listen to him.  I'll try to find a recording. He speaks about AIDS and those who have died and of his early ministry in San Francisco.  His message really touched me.  Oh and thanks Father Bill for making such a difference in my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment