Friday, January 1, 2016

The tweet that reminded me of an inspiration

So often on January 1st, we are treated to year-in-review summaries or New Year's resolutions lists or discussions about the holiday itself. It would be easy to do likewise, but last night, I tweeted about a celebrity who moments later tweeted a response. I knew right then that he should be my topic this morning. His name is Mario López and you know him as a tv host and actor. (You knew him years ago as A.C. Slater on Saved by the Bell, portraying the famed Olympic diver in Breaking the Surface: The Greg Louganis Story, and as a young cop on Pacific Blue). After tweeting that López is "one of the most talented men in America," he tweeted back "Wow, thanks Michael. Happy New Year man!"

Working in media, I have known many celebrities, and way too many of them are just a little bit full of themselves. This guy, whom I don't know at all (but whom I would love to someday meet), seems like the opposite. The way I read his tweet, was that he is very down-to-earth. But, you may be asking, what does any of this have to do with making a difference in this world? Why am I writing about Mario López? Well quite simply because he is making a difference.

Through countless appearances he has delighted and entertained all kinds of audiences. As a frequent guest on the Ellen DeGeneres program, he has shown us a lot of who he is, but we catch glimpses at other times too, like when he is lending his famous name to help numerous charities. (Yes, he really has helped a LOT of different organizations). Just last month he teamed up with Habitat For Humanity of Greater Los Angeles. On Ellen's show, I recall him being dunked for charity. I can also remember him being associated with Boys & Girls Clubs of America, the Eva Longoria Foundation, Broadway Barks, GLAAD, Padres Contra el Cancer, Leeza's Place, Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and a whole lot of other worthy organizations.

As I said, I don't know Mario López and so don't have tons of verified information I can give you, but as someone who reads a lot and watches a lot of television talk shows and news, I can tell you for certain that this guy is an inspiration. He's a devoted family man who regularly attends church services, provides uplifting entertainment, and continuously gives back to others through his vast and generous donation of time, talent, and money. Want to make a resolution on this first day of the year? Resolve to be more like Mario López!

No comments:

Post a Comment