Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Feel the love

The horror of Sunday morning's mass murder in Florida is made worse by the hate that seems to have exploded since then. At the same time, there has been a generous outpouring of good. Incredible things have been said and done by people all around the world, and you can actually feel the love!

I don't want to go into all the negativity, some of which has included claims that this was all a hoax, and then some of the most vile statements I have ever heard from clergy. The Reverend Roger Jimenez preached early Sunday morning In Sacramento saying "Hey, are you sad that 50 pedophiles were killed today? No ... I think that's great. I think that helps society. I think Orlando, Florida's a little safer tonight." I watched a youtube video of this "sermon," at Verity Baptist Church, where Jimenez went on to say "It is unnatural for a man to be attracted to another man." If this isn't inciting, in don't know what is. He also said "The tragedy is that more of them didn't die." Oh and yesterday, an even more famous man of the cloth, Pat Robertson, preached additional hate saying "let Muslims and gays kill themselves."
 
As I said though, there has been good, and while there have been tears these past few days, and moments when I have even wanted to throw up, I can indeed feel the love.  Sunday morning there were many clergypersons preaching love and condemning the massacre.  There were also numerous memorials and vigils, and those continue.  People from all over the world have been generous too.  Money has been donated in huge amounts to help the families of those who were killed and to also help all of the hospitalized injured people.  Gifts have come from individuals as well as from major corporations.  American Airlines for example, donated airline miles to help fly bodies to their final resting places.  I have also read so many encouraging tweets and posts on social media.  There are people who care.  There are people who love!

Seeing San Francisco City Hall, the Eiffel Tower, the Empire State Building, and other famous landmarks lit up in rainbow colors has warmed my heart. Hearing the positive and supporting statements from celebrities and elected officials all around the world has had a nice calming effect too. Support and love make a big difference, especially in times of great sorrow.

Sadly, as I said, it hasn't all been love, and if the hate wasn't there, these things wouldn't even happen, but I am encouraged by the positive energy and look for an increase.  I invite you to join me.  Let's drive away the hate and only do things that are kind and caring.  Love is a much better option.

No comments:

Post a Comment