Friday, March 27, 2015

prejudice rears its ugly head

I'm waking up this morning to a lot of news about the so called religious objections bill in Indiana, which Governor Mike Pence signed into law yesterday. What many are saying is this could lead to legalizing discrimination against gay people.

I'm not a fan of excluding people and I can remember the days when the "no Blacks allowed" signs were in store windows. I remember reading about so many other groups that have been discriminated against over the years. It seems to me that all too often prejudice rears its ugly head.

Sadly, the Indiana law isn't all by itself. A similar bill in Arkansas, supported by their governor is advancing in that state's Legislature. Last year a bill in Arizona, that would have permitted businesses there to deny service to gays and lesbians for religious beliefs, passed their legislature, but was vetoed by the governor.
 
This morning I am hearing many religious leaders condemn this new Indiana law.  Religion should not exclude, is the message I am hearing from so many.  Hollywood celebrities and big business also have spoken against the law and some have called for a boycott of Indiana.
 
"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" is a sign most of us have seen on store walls.  Anyone?  For any reason?  When you open your doors for business, it seems to me you should be happy for anyone with money to come through your doors.  Oh I know, some customers aren't as easy to serve as others, but that's just part of doing business.  Another part of doing business is to treat everyone alike and the only thing that should get excluded is that ugly prejudice.

No comments:

Post a Comment