Friday, June 28, 2013

Introducing Felicia Flames

Today I want to tell you about Felicia Alvarado Elizondo, known too as Felicia Flames, a transgender Latina who makes a difference in this world every single day. Felicia is a US Navy Viet Nam Veteran, and lgbt activist, and a living history book.  She was involved in the 1966 Gene Compton's Cafeteria Riot and can give you details of that and so much more of our local lgbt history.  In the interest of full disclosure, I need to add one more thing,  Felicia is my friend.  
 
Some of you who read this might already know Felicia, or at least know of her.  She has been doing things that make a difference for her entire life.  Felicia is a performer, and you may have enjoyed one of her performances.  Perhaps you have been at a march or rally she has organized.  Another of the things she does that I really like is she makes AIDS Quilt panels. 

Everyone is talking right now about the announcement that came from the US Supreme Court on Wednesday.  The day before, Felicia said "I am very fortunate that I was able to get married in 1975 without nobody telling me that I couldn't do it. It just came natural after my sex change. I'm hoping it comes thru for the Gay and Lesbian Community. It is long overdue."

This week Felicia isn't just thinking about her gay and lesbian friends.  She'll be up front with the trans community for several events including the Trans March tonight (6:15pm is the start time in Dolores Park).  I'm sure we'll see her in many other places this week as she continues to make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment