Monday, July 21, 2014

Another walk in the park

Just another walk in the park? Hardly. This is certainly a fun event even on a damp cool morning like yesterday and many of the participants added their own special touches (some teams barbecued after the walk), the big thing though is the awareness and the money that is raised.
 
Since 1987, AIDS Walk San Francisco has raised more than $82 million for lifesaving HIV prevention, testing, and care programs and services, and has grown into the largest AIDS fundraising event in Northern California. I don't know how many times I have written about it here, but every single year I personally come out to the park to walk.  This year I am particularly pleased to have again made it to the Gold Star Walker category again raising $2,702.  (The number could even go higher because donations are still welcome.  Click HERE to give).
 
Like I said, the weather wasn't exactly super, but that didn't hold back the thousands of participants in Golden Gate Park.  It's amazing to see the folks who come out to volunteer and all the many walkers.  It's not just local people who participate either.  I met a number of people who came from southern California to walk and at least a third of my sponsors live outside of California.  This is an event that is all about making a difference and over the years it has done so much.  Again, even though the walk already happened, you can still participate.  Sponsor me or make a general donation to my team or to the event or plan something that will benefit AIDS Walk.  There are also AIDS Walk events in several other cities that you can get involved with too!  Go to http://www.aidswalk.net/ to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment