Thursday, April 30, 2015

let's choose

Some things are more difficult to speak about than others. Some of us are in positions where we don't have to say anything at all. There are those though who always do the right thing - those who stand up and speak out and make a difference. We can choose to be one of those people. We can choose to be like Jason Chu.

Remarkable just doesn't get to what I want to say. I can't think of any word that does. I have mentioned Jason Chu here a couple of times before and I have found myself listening to his words over and over. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll say that he sent a nice email in response to an earlier blog post and I started following him on twitter. I even sent a facebook friend request, but don't actually know him. Remarkable though. He speaks truth.

He doesn't just speak.  He performs.  He's an artist.  You really should watch his youtube videos.  Subscribe HERE.  In his latest, he talks about Freddie Gray and about Baltimore and about privilege.  That one, THEY WON'T SHOOT ME (I am not #FreddieGray), is HERE.  Jason says what we all should be saying - if indeed we speak. 
Perhaps the most profound thing Jason says this time, is at the very end "Privilege means I get to choose.  So, I choose."  Let's all make that choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment