Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Toughest Job You’ll Ever Love

Remember that slogan "The Toughest Job You’ll Ever Love"? It was for the Peace Corps, where nearly 220,000 Americans have served in 140 countries since President John Kennedy created the Peace Corps 54 years ago. You might have been one of them, or perhaps you wanted to signup, but just didn't. A friend of mine is about to go, and I don't know if the slogan will apply to him, but I do know he is about to do some pretty amazing things! His name is Michael Nguyen, and he has already done amazing things.

It was just after Christmas when I heard that Michael had accepted an invitation to serve in Zambia, Africa. I smiled. I know he is up to the task. It's been that way when he organized fundraisers, or parades, or HIV testing. If Mike is doing it, you know it's going to work out. Since I have faith in him, and already knew about how great the Peace Corps is, I settled back in hope of an occasional update.

Let me tell you, there is going to be a lot of information. Mike has begun a blog and has already started posting, even though he is still a few weeks away from leaving. To stay up to date, check it out at https://2yearsinzambia.wordpress.com/ and to find out more general information about the Peace Corps (or to volunteer), click HERE.  I'm sure I will have some updates here during the next two and a half years, too.
 
One more thing - and this is important.  Mike has a big expense in getting ready and could really use a hand.  He needs journals to remember this mission, a sleeping bag, some sturdy boots, a dependable hiking backpack, and various emergency supplies.  Any idea how expensive this will all be?  There's a fundraiser at http://www.gofundme.com/zambiamike to help raise some money.  Click on that link if you can donate - ANY amount (yes, even if it's just a dollar or two), and share this with your friends too!  Thanks and watch the adventure ahead.  I'm certain Mike will have some inspiring tales from Zambia!

1 comment:

  1. you're the best, michael. let's stay in touch. message me your address and we can become international penpals! hugs and lots of love!

    ReplyDelete