Friday, February 5, 2021

Something to help

Making a difference, for the better - that is the theme of this blog, but what about cancer? How on earth can I make a difference? Yesterday I wrote here that cancer sucks.  Indeed.  Although I am personally fairly healthy, I have been touched by cancer many times over the years and have lost a lot of friends and family members. 

My grandmother had stomach cancer, and I never want to witness the pain and discomfort she experienced. I vividly remember my mom's last hours too, when she was gasping for air due to her lung cancer. So, what do I do? Just a few years ago, a dear friend of mine died from cancer at a very young age. I always think of my friend Aidan who lost his husband to cancer.

We are all affected by cancer in some way, and we can all do something to help. How?  Well, there is not just one answer. When someone is diagnosed with a cancer or when you hear the news from a family member or someone at work, what happens first?  Again, there isn't just one answer. We all deal with things differently. Rage, tears, quiet contemplation, and any number of emotions can result. Information is a good place to begin. Know as much as we possibly can.

Notice I have said WE are all affected and WE can all do something? That word 'we' is important, because cancer is something that nobody should have to deal with alone. There are all kinds of supportive individuals and organizations that deal specifically with cancer. Seek them out.  Ask yur health care provider.  The American Cancer Society website at https://www.cancer.org/ is an excellent information source.


If you and everyone in your circle of friends is currently healthy and you aren't dealing with treatments and healing, you might consider volunteering at cancer treatments centers, at a hospice, and charitable organizations that deal directly with cancers, or at hospitals. Even in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, there are still ways to volunteer your time.  Donations are welcome too and can do all kinds of good.

There are numerous events all over the country that are excellent resources and sources of support. Last week I was energized once again as I registered for The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Light the Night Walk. What are some of the things you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment