Sunday, February 21, 2021

End the attacks on the API community

 THIS MUST STOP

This is the third day in a row that I am writing about the same subject.  Those of you who read this blog regularly, know how unusual that is.  This is important though.  The anti-Asian hate crimes must stop.  Let's come together.

Here in this space I have appealed to my Asian sisters and brother for guidance on how we all can help.  Two comments came and both were rather disgusting (I think) and so I deleted them.  In the first, I was referred to as "Mr Know-It-All" and they said I was writing lies to stir people up.  The other comment was that I am white and this is none of my business.   Well everything I have written here have been true and attacks on our neighbors and friends I believe is everyone's business.

This anti-Asian hate didn't just begin.  The Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 forbade Chinese people from even entering the United States. After Pearl Harbor, from 1942 through 1945, Japanese people were legally detained in internment camps. Back in 1982, a young Chinese-American draftsman was beaten to death by two white men in Detroit. They thought him to be Japanese and blamed him for the rise of Japanese car manufacturers.  This is just a small sample of the hate that has existed for years.

In the past few days I have written about this and given a few suggestions on how we might address the discrimination and hate.  I'm sure there are more things that we all can do.  Together though, let us end these senseless acts against the API community.  We can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment