Saturday, February 20, 2021

I Don't Have All The Answers

Yesterday in this space, I wrote about the ongoing hate directed at Asian Americans. I think I was quite clear in that this is horrible, it needs to stop.  The only comment I heard was a disgusting racist remark (which I have deleted) that referred to me as "Mr Know-It-All" and said I was writing lies to stir people up.  Well I am passionate about this and I have a lot more to say.

First, just in case I wasn't clear, the Asian American community has been under attack for a long time, but it has largely been ignored.  Last year COVID-19 led to more and more hate crimes, and they continue to be under attack particularly the most vulnerable, the elderly.  If you haven't been seeing news coverage, call or write you local news outlets and demand that they bring attention to this.  Also, I didn't say yesterday that I have all the answers.  In fact I have never said that.  In closing yesterday, I suggested that we might reach out to our API friends and neighbors and get suggestions.

Yesterday I also made suggestions about being supportive.  Those so called "jokes" that are actually racial slurs, are hurtful.  Stop them!  If someone says them to us, we need to speak up.  If we see hate crimes occurring, we need to get involved.  Supporting local Asian-owned business is something else i think would be helpful.  I'm sure there are a lot more ways to be supportive, and I reach out to the API community for thoughts and suggestions because, once again, I don't have all the answers.

One thing I do know for certain is that nobody should have to live in fear.  Because of these attacks, many are afraid to go out of their homes, and that's just plain wrong.  So, how can I help?

No comments:

Post a Comment