Thursday, February 4, 2021

Cancer sucks

This morning I may be stating the obvious when I say "Cancer SUCKS," but in the past few years I seem to have encountered it on a very regular basis. I'm certainly not alone. I keep hearing friends and acquaintances mention a family member or co-worker or friend who has just been diagnosed with cancer.  Since today is World Cancer Day, I want to say a few things.  

My mom died with leukemia and from lung cancer. One of my dearest friends died a few years ago at the young age of 42, from cancer. Actually numerous people I knew have died in the past few years from various cancers.  I have a friend in hospice right now who has been fighting cancers for some time.

I have had the privilege of working with some incredible women over the years, who have been attacked by breast cancer. Some have won the battle. Some have lost. Veteran television reporter Betty Rollin was one of the ones who beat breast cancer. She has been a great help to others, authoring several books, including one that deals directly with her fight: First You Cry. Faith Fancher was another television journalist diagnosed with breast cancer. She decided that raising awareness was important, and so shared her story with viewers. Faith's television station regularly reported on each step of treatment. Faith even created a charity to do more. Sadly, the disease won and we lost Faith Fancher, but her message of hope and the importance of awareness that she shared, have saved the lives of many others.

Alicia Parlette was a newspaper reporter who told of her cancer, a rare form, and she too brought awareness. Reports in The San Francisco Chronicle, where she worked, and on National Public Radio, helped make cancer personal. It wasn't just something that happened to others. It happened to this woman we knew from her reports of the news. Alicia died at age 28, just over six years ago.

Some of these were not recent.  Over the years we have all seen it over and over.  I have volunteered for various cancer agencies and donated money and I'm sure that is true for many of you.  It is frustrating to keep seeing these deaths though.  And sad.  It is very very sad.
 
So now what?  What do we do about it?  Tomorrow, I'll have some more thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment